Don’t let the vegemite throw you, this is a nice hearty gravy that goes well with mashed potatoes.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon vegemite
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Fry the onion and the garlic in the oil on medium until it’s softened up, about five minutes.
- Add the flour, cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the flour is brown.
- Stir in the chicken stock, and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the gravy into a clean saucepan and put over low heat.
- Add the vegemite and soy sauce, stirring through until combined to your liking. See notes.
- Make sure you’re tasting the gravy as you’re stirring in the vegemite. It will melt pretty slowly, so you’ll most likely find yourself wanting to take the unmelted lump out rather than stir the entire thing in. I think I actually use more like half a tablespoon, but it really depends how I’m feeling that day.